Fourth Prosecution Witness in Major Mahama trial speaks

Major Maxwell Mahama
Photo credit:

The fourth prosecution witness in the Major Mahama murder trial, Kojo Afum alias Agya Koo, has given his evidence-in-chief.


According to the Witness, he went to sell his wares at Nyinawesu and while returning, when he got to Nkwatanang, some men told him that some thieves had come to Denkyira Obuasi.

Mr. Afum said that he rode his motorbike towards the scene to go and have a look and on his way, he saw Major Mahama running towards his direction, being followed by two men.

The witness added that the two men following the late Major Mahama, were Yaw Amankwa (one of the Accused persons) and one Tikwa.

“One Kwame Adjei was the one who wanted to pick him on a motorbike but Yaw Amankwa told him ( Kwame Adjei) that if he picked him up on his motorbike, he will shoot at him. For that reason, the soldier got off the motor and sat on mine but when we were going, there was a bumper on the road and we fell”, he narrated.

According to the Witness, Major Mahama jumped off the motor, boarded a timber car and sat in the front seat and then ‘Bula’ alias Yaw Amankwa asked Major Mahama to alight, but he refused.

Mr Afum said that Yaw Amankwa shot at the mirror of the car and Major Mahama alighted and fell into a pit.

According to the Witness one Akwesi Boah, an Accused in this case, took the gun from Yaw Amankwa, and folded it.

In narrating what he saw, the Witness said he saw one Akwesi Asante fire a gun at Major Mahama’s head and his hand.

He added that he saw one “Abortion”, the third Accused in this case, hit Major Mahama with a stick and block, and so did the second Accused, whom the Witness referred to as Daddy.

Mr. Afum added that he also saw one Yaw Adade use a stick to hit Major Mahama.

The Witness identified all the names he mentioned in the docket, except Yaw Adade.

In concluding his examination- in- chief, the Witness said that he saw blood on Major Mahama’s head, and he (Major Mahama) was pleading that they leave him, but he passed on subsequently and a police car came and conveyed the body.

The case has been adjourned to 19th November, 2018.

Source: GhanaJustice/F.Kyeremateng


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here